Saturday, November 16, 2013

Rooftops (Game Review)

Rooftops is very similar to a game called Canabalt which appeared in 2009 and was open-sourced in 2010. Originally a Flash game, I remember playing it and getting bored fast.

Unlike games that were inspired by Canabalt (like Temple Run), Rooftops isn't much different than the original Canabalt, and actually, seems to have a controls problem with Firefox OS.

Here's the basic idea. You run and jump. You start out running from left to right and you can't stop. Ever. You just run. The fun is that if you tap on the screen, your character jumps.


Simple enough, except that there seems to be too much delay from when I tap and when I jump. I've tried this several times, and it just isn't smooth. Maybe it would be different for you.

I would run for a few seconds and I'm supposed to jump to the next building, but I don't jump soon enough and I fall to a horrible death. When I do fall, I am asked to put in a nickname and submit my score. If I don't want to, I have no option except press the home button.


If I submit my score, I get this:






Not very good, but there isn't much incentive to try again. When I hit OK, I get the start screen again:




My stats after a few games aren't good:




Maybe if I had more patience, I might keep trying, but there isn't even any known incentive. The art is dull (so was the art in 2009) and the statistics mentions items, but I don't know what they are.

It would have been nice if the first minute or so was easier and you could get used to the controls. The other games I've played on the ZTE Open with Firefox OS didn't seem to have control problems, but I can't be sure. 

The game is by RĂ©mi Vansteelandt and maybe I'll just leave it by saying the game didn't work for me but 883,636 people did better than me, so maybe it is just me! But when there are better "endless runner" games like Jetpack Joyride or Robot Unicorn Attack, not to mention a new Rayman runner, I would have been more encouraging if there was something original here. It looks just like Canabalt!

I'm bummed out when a game isn't good on Firefox OS, but due to the lack of originality, no learning mode, and possible control failure, I have to rank this 2 out of 5. It does work and you may enjoy it, but I didn't.

Cost: Free
Genre: Arcade
Score: 2 (out of 5)
Tested on: ZTE Open (Firefox OS)
Get it at: Firefox Marketplace

No comments:

Post a Comment